Prof. Sharma covered the following salient points related toPressure Vessels and Quality Control during his talk:
1. Pressure vessels are found everywhere from basement boilers to gasoline tankers and their usefulness is exceeded only by the hazardous consequences if they are not properly constructed and maintained.
2. Pressure vessel design, manufacture, and operation are regulated by engineering authorities backed by legislation. For these reasons, the definition of a pressure vessel varies from country to country, but involves parameters such as maximum safe operating pressure and temperature.
3. Applications of Pressure vessels in both industry and the private sector.
4. Pressure vessels are designed to operate safely at a specific pressure and temperature technically referred to as the "Design Pressure" and "Design Temperature".
5. A vessel that is inadequately designed to handle a high pressure constitutes a very significant safety hazard. Because of that, the design and certification of pressure vessels is governed by design codes such as the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code in North America, the Pressure Equipment Directive of the EU (PED), Japanese Industrial Standard (JIS), CSA B51 in Canada, Australian Standards in Australia and other international standards .
6. Quality control is a process through which a business seeks to ensure that product quality is maintained or improved and manufacturing errors are reduced or eliminated.
7. Quality control requires the business to create an environment in which both management and employees strive for perfection. This is done by training personnel, creating benchmarks for product quality, and testing products to verify for statistically significant variations.
8. ASTM's quality control standards provide the mathematical and statistical procedures instrumental in the evaluation of experiments and test methods.
9. These quality control standards help, guide laboratories and their respective scientists and engineers in making useful plans and design of experiments and test procedures.